Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Going the Distance

Two weeks ago I made a pact with a buddy of mine to start running 3 times a week. So far so good! We're still going strong. Well, til he pulled his quad last night, but hopefully it'll be all healed up for Thursday's run. It has been awesome! I'm already noticing that my legs are beginning to feel a little stronger and it's getting easier and easier to push myself mentally to go farther, harder, and push past my screaming leg muscles. It's probably all psychological, because I doubt you actually gain a noticeable amount of strength from 4 runs.

We've been running pretty good distances too. On Tuesday we run a park by my house that is a 5.1 mile trail. We don't do the entire trail. We leave off a very small portion because we would have to back track to start at it. Soon I'll measure the actual distance we run. On Thursday's we run a 5K or 3.1 miles. For the 3rd day, at this point, we run whatever distance. My goal is for it to be at least over 2 miles.

My main reason for this post was to get feedback from any runners out there. My goal is to someday run a half marathon. I'd love to do a whole one, but I think that may be reaching a bit too high for right now. So here's what I know (or have been told) so far about running, including the things I do. I would like to know how to run farther and faster.

Shoes: I have a pair of Asics that Monica and I paid good money for so I think I'm ok there, but I've heard you should wear wool or synthetic socks, not cotton.. Is this true? if so why?

Running: I try to take smallish strides. I try not to push off my toes, but rather off my heels so that I use more of my leg than calf. I noticed at first when we would run that my calves would be toast after maybe one mile. I try to keep my head neutral or slightly leaned forward and not look up because it will slow your momentum and shorten your stride.

Breathing: Obviously I have CF and so my breathing pattern may be different than others. Since CF is an obstructive disease, the air has a harder time getting out of the lungs than normal. I try to sync my breathing pattern with my strides. Breathe in for 2 steps, out for 3 steps. It sometimes varies depending on how hard I'm running. I try to breathe in through my nose and out my mouth as well.

These are the main things I stay aware of while I'm running. Anybody have any tips? Anything I'm doing good or bad?

To throw a little motivation at the end of this post I would like to encourage any of you reading this that don't run to give it a try!! Start off with a brisk walk if you have to or just walking at whatever pace for that matter. You have to start somewhere! It pays off in the end and you will learn to love it! No matter what size or shape you are, there's no shame in getting out there! So go on, get out there and GET MOVING!

No comments:

Post a Comment